The other week I met up with my business pal Sophie and headed to a Pinterest workshop in Manchester. We met many familiar blogging faces and all huddled together in the The Craft & Design Centre. We were supplied with tea, coffee and pastries before sitting down to a very interesting and well executed talk from Lizzie who works in the UK Pinterest office.
Lizzie supplied us with lots of tips and tricks to get the most out of Pinterest. I thought I would share them with you tonight and we can all pin the rest of the weekend away.
Are you ready? Let’s get into the list:
– Pinterest is not a social network, it’s a visual search engine
– Focus on writing in-depth pin descriptions and forget about hashtags
– Optimise your website so that pins can easily be shared straight from your content
– Move your boards to the top of the page in accordance to the time of year
– There is no such thing as too many boards
– Keep portrait images in mind when you’re taking photos for a blog post
– Add text overlays to portrait images
– Embed widgets into your blog posts
– Pin local and original content from your favourite websites
– Don’t worry about your follower count just make your boards and pins search friendly
– Don’t delete boards, change the titles and descriptions, move them to the bottom of the page
– If you’re a blog or business then be sure to convert to a business account for access to analytics
– Plan boards 2 months in advance. Yes, that means you can start pinning about Halloween now!
I hope all these tips and tricks will get you excited to start pinning and editing your Pinterest page. I know that I’m going to spend the rest of the evening adding full descriptions to my pins and adding to my striped tops board.
Some of you might find my board on social media tips handy. If you’ve created any blog posts with social media tips then let me know and I’ll add them to the board.