I hope you’re all having a good week. If you’ve been reading here for a while you’ll know that I enjoy sharing foodie posts quite regularly. I also enjoy having the chance to highlight smaller brands. Today I’m doing just that. I’d like to point out that I may not be a coffee connoisseur and I’m certainly not a coffee snob but I do really enjoy coffee. I drink a lot of it, especially from my Nespresso machine and I love to share my favourite finds here on Prettygreentea.
Today I’m going to be telling you about Real Coffee. This is not a sponsored post, they simply sent over a bunch of their capsules for me to test out. As always here on Prettygreentea you’ll get my honest and in-depth review of the product.
Real Coffee is a small brand form Denmark who’ve just landed here in the UK. They produce 100% recyclable capsules for Nespresso machines and also have a range for Dolce Gusto.
I’ve been using a Nespresso machine for a little over 6 years now. I was first introduced to the brand when I went to Cannes Film Festival. They had pop-ups throughout the festival and as soon as I arrived back home I ordered my very own machine.
Over the years I’ve tried lots of different brands of capsules aka pods and although I have to say that the Nespresso ones are always the best that doesn’t mean I haven’t come across some really fantastic brands. Real Coffee is one of those brands. It sits in-line with my love for the traditional Nespresso pods but offers a whole different and unique range.
What I particularly like about Real Coffee is their brand ethics and mission. They currently offer 80% Fairtrade coffee and one of their environmental responsibility targets is to become 100% Fairtrade by May 2018. If you’re not totally sure, Fairtrade works to improve the quality of life for coffee farmers.
Real Coffee’s ultimate goal is to have an exclusively organic selection of coffees in the near future. All while keeping a strong focus on good quality coffee. I was also very excited to hear that they’re actively working towards creating a capsule that can be composted. I really hope this becomes a reality and something which we will see from all brands in the near future.
Now you know a little more about the brand let’s get into the pods.
First things first, the pods are compatible with the following Nespresso machines: Citiz®, U-model®, Pixie®, Essenza®, Lattissima®, Maestria®, Inissia®, Prodigio®, Expert®. I’ve used the capsules in both the Citiz and U-model and have had no problems with them. The capsule is always pierced well and the water can flow through the pod easily.
I’ve been lucky to try a wide selection of the pods and wanted to give you a little run-down of my thoughts on each one.
– Lungo San Marino – This is a 100% organic and fairtrade coffee. It’s a real favourite of mine for when I fancy a long smooth coffee. It has a lovely rich flavour, even when you’re adding in milk for a long coffee. I can’t pick out any specific notes but I can confirm that it makes for a good flat white in the morning.
– Espresso Ethiopia Fairtrade – We both really enjoyed this coffee but found it hard to describe. We much preferred it as a single shot with a dash of warm milk. It had a smooth taste and was very easy to drink.
– Lungo Colombia Fairtrade – We made our way through these pods really quickly. It’s a coffee with a rich taste even when milk is added for a flat white or latte.
– Espresso Napoli signature Blend – This is such a unique pod. It has a light bitter after-taste with subtle nutty notes. I did find that the flavour changed sightly each time I used the pods, that’s not a bad thing though. It doesn’t have a thick creamy top like a lot of the other pods. P has enjoyed using this for longer coffees but prefers to add a little sugar if he’s drinking it as an espresso.
– Espresso Roma Fairtrade – If you’ve had a late night then this pod is going to be your best friend. Pop this into your Nespresso machine as soon as you wake up and enjoy as a perfect little espresso. It has a slight hint of hazelnut and is a strong but smooth coffee with a rich crema. It doesn’t need any sugar adding into it.
– Espresso Venezia Fairtrade – This is another one to stick in the machine if you’ve had a sleepless night. We made our way through these pods very quickly, it was one of P’s favourites. The pods create a strong coffee with subtle spicy notes. We both drink this as an espresso with a dash of sugar. It also works well as a longer coffee with warm milk – I use almond milk.
– Espresso Verona – We usually drink this as an espresso. It doesn’t need any sugar but a dash of milk does work well. It has a lovely rich flavour and a creamy top.
– Espresso Bologna Fairtrade Organic – We’ve been using these capsules in the last week or so. These pods create a smooth coffee with a delicate velvety taste. We like to have ours with almond milk for a longer coffee but it works equally well as a an espresso and doesn’t need any sugar.
– Espresso Torino Decaf – I think it’s always good to have a top quality decaf in the house and this one doesn’t disappoint. I’ve been using it for after-dinner coffees or when we make affogatos. This pod has a very rich and smooth taste and is not at all bitter. It’s another personal favourite of mine and I think I’m going to make myself a late night flat white after I’ve written this post.
I haven’t tried their chocolate pods yet but hope to soon.
I really enjoyed the pods from Real Coffee and will re-purchase Torino Decaf, Bologna, San Marino, Venezia and Roma when I need to stock up again.
How to order your Real Coffee pods:
The pick n mix option is worth checking out if you fancy making an order. You can pick from the full range of pods and ensure that you select something for everyone in the family.
If you’re new to the brand you might prefer to go for one of the taster packs. This will give you the chance to sample a full selection of coffee pods just like I did.
If you’re looking for a more purse friendly option to other Nespresso pods then this could be a good option for you. Real Coffee comes in 40% cheaper and they offer free delivery on all orders over £20.
I’ve also got a little discount code for you. From now ’til 25th October if you use the code PRETTYGREENTEA you will get a free storage CUBE when you buy a small pack of coffee pods.
Thanks to Real Coffee for letting me sample their pods.
Leave a comment below and let me know what’s in your mug. I’m always keen to find new teas and coffees to try.Find me here: Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook